Thursday, April 17, 2008

Beautiful Weather

The weather couldn't be anymore perfect for the first trip on my new ship. The HENRY BIGELOW departed Newport, RI yesterday (Tuesday), with light winds and smooth seas. Once we got into open waters and the weather was the same, the captain looked around and said, "There will be hell to pay for this weather. Hell To Pay." Apparently he's a bit on the superstitious side. I don't think you can sail and not be a bit that way.

As far as the actual job I'm getting adjusted to sea life again, which I enjoy tremendously. My watch is the 04-08 (4am-8am and 4pm-8pm). The best thing about this watch is that I see the sun rise and set each day. The bad part...I start smelling breakfast wafting up from the galley with about 2 hours left on my watch, which sets my stomach a'rumbling.

Pictures will follow once we actually start doing some operations. We've had a bit of a delay since the ship we're replacing had mechanical problems (one of the reasons she's being replaced) and we can't compare our data when she's alongside the pier. Hopefully she'll be underway here shortly and we can get to some actual fishing. To fill the time we've been examining the plankton population. Not exactly a photogenic job.

If you want to see where we are check out http://shiptracker.noaa.gov I can't believe this information is public, but it is, so check it out. It's pretty neat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home